I often have more than 3 projects on the go, but right now, I just cast off another project and have only one project on one loom. This is rare for me. I do need to buy yarn. I’m going to blow $200 on yarn in a couple weeks.. until then.. I present the Manitou Scarf. It uses a technique called “Indian Cross Stitch”, which is like mock cables with a different result. I enjoyed the pattern.
Another project done using a pattern from The Invisible Loom. This is called the “Daisy chain sweater” and it has a crochet feel to it. I finished it in two days, opting to not put sleeves on it because it’s cute as a tank top and will be good to wear over tank tops and t-shirts.
I used Lion Brand Ice Cream (flavour Cotton Candy) yarn for this, and it took about 75% of a ball to do. So around 300 yards.
I made this baktus (or shawlette, based on the size of it) on my 20″ Fully Adjustable Cottage Loom in 3/8″ gauge (I think it may be 7/16, I’d need calipers to measure) with 48 pegs. It took over a week, the loom is different than my others and weird to use, I got used to it, though. A LOT of purling. It took a ball and a half to make this. I think it’s pretty cool.
I also got new glasses, and had it engraved with my (leased) horses name. I love them, everything is so clear. I got them from Zenni Optical.
I have a cute little flower loom set. The Hana-Ami set, which is sold at Michael’s and other craft stores, but I picked mine up on eBay. I never really used it, and then my friend sent me the Knit Wit and I decided to find my other flower loom, so I can put all sorts of flowers together to make an afghan, or a blanket, perhaps.
Here are some flowers:
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Currently I have a few projects going. The first is the Maintou Scarf, which I have 5 more wedges to do.
Next is a leafy sea dragon
and finally, a rippled baktus. It’s a repeat of knitting several rows, then purling several rows so the purls make ripples. My camera didn’t get a good shot at the rippling, but it’s there. In the close up you can see it more. I’m using my 3/8″ 20″ Fully adjustable Cottage Loom with extenders.
I also made a flower on my flower loom. I didn’t do the centre the way it should be, but it’s a decent attempt.
I ordered some lobster clamps and charms off of eBay. The lobster clamps that came were TINY and no use. I wanted to make movable peg markers, opening the lobster clamp to switch it from peg to peg. So I went to Michael’s. I got bigger lobster clamps and some jump rings. It ended up costing $9, which isn’t too bad for Michael’s. Then I stopped at the dollar store to get a pair of pliers since I wasn’t going to pay $16 at Michael’s. I got my pliers, a Dr Pepper and drove home in the traffic, eager to start my creations.
I open the package of lobster clamps. I try to put it over a peg on my 1/2″ CinDwood loom. It is the exact size, it doesn’t go over. So sure, I’ll try to open it up and put it on the thinner part of the peg. No such luck. I get out my Elvira loom which has a scarf on it, and I try to open the lobster clamp and put it around a peg. I have all the pegs in, making it 3/8″ in gauge. No luck. It goes OVER the pegs fine. So I try my Cottage Loom. The lobster clamps are too thick to fit between the pegs, and no luck in opening the clamp, either. I’m beat.
I go on Ravelry and get some help. Instead of using lobster clamps, use jump rings. Instead of opening it to move the marker, make sure the ring fits over the peg, and take the loop off the peg, remove the marker, put the stitch back, remove the loop on the next spot the marker is being moved to, put the marker on, and put the loop back down.
Genius! So I started making them, for my Bufanda and Loops n’ Threads long looms (the one in the picture below) and a kind Ravelry member is sending me jump rings to try out, in different sizes. I make 6 stitch markers, and I’m done for the day. My back hurts from yoga last night.
So after a day full of FAIL, I present my first stitch markers:
The lesson learned is: measure everything before buying supplies. I just wasted $5 on lobster clamps.
A friend, in our swap, sent me a “Knit Wit” loom. It’s a flower loom with 12 pegs out to the side and you can make little flowers out of yarn. Here’s what it looks like:
Its super neat. Here are my first attempts:
It’s pretty easy to use, you have to keep tension right or it’ll get wobbly, and I didn’t do the centre right, but I’ll keep playing. I have a lot of spare yarn.
I’ve made progress on my Manitou Scarf, and I started a Leafy Sea Dragon. Here’s the progress so far. The yarn is from Mary Maxim, and is Mary Maxim brand Garden Boule. It’s kind of a pain to work with, but it looks nice.